Allea Real Estate

Allea Real Estate
Real Estate in Davao City, Philippines

Friday, March 9, 2012

Downton Abbey

If there's one show that I wouldn't get tired of watching, (other than Stargate), it's Downton Abbey. It's so awesome, I feel like I'm being transported to a different era everytime I watch it. The actors and actresses are so great, you'd feel the emotion each of them portray.

To borrow the words of Wikipedia, the series is set in the fictional Downton Abbey, the Yorkshire country house of the Earl and Countess of Grantham, and follows the lives of the aristocratic Crawley family and their servants during the reign of King George V. The first series spans the two years before the Great War beginning with news of the sinking of the Titanic in 1912, which sets the story in motion. The second series covers the years 1916 to 1919, and the 2011 Christmas Special December covers the 1919 Christmas period, ending in early 1920.

Highclere Castle in Hampshire[2][3] was used for exterior shots of Downton Abbey and most of the interior filming. The servants' living areas were constructed and filmed at Ealing Studios.[4]

The village of Bampton in Oxfordshire was used for filming outdoor scenes, most notably St Mary's Church and the library, which serves as the entrance to the cottage hospital.[5] The Yorkshire towns and cities of Easingwold, Kirkby, Kirkbymoorside, Leeds, Malton, Middlesbrough, Ripon, Richmond, Thirsk and York have been mentioned by characters in the series.

The series was well received in both the United Kingdom and the United States, averaging more than six million viewers per episode.[6]

Highclere Castle,  the location of Downton Abbey. Awesome right?


 In 2011 it entered the Guinness Book of World Records as the "most critically acclaimed English-language television show" for the year, becoming the first co-produced US/British show to be so recognised by the Guinness Book of Records.



Lady Edith, Lady Mary and Lady Sybil. Among the three, I love Lady Mary's character. :)



Lady Mary and Matthew Crawley. You really should watch them. I'm sure you'll fall inlove with them as well... :)


Countess of Grantham. Grandmother of Mary, Sybil and Edith. She makes me laugh with her quirky remarks. I love her! :)



Lady Mary.


So why am I writing about this?

I don't know why, but I've always wanted to go to Europe. It's like I have a love affair with the place, even if I haven't been there. Maybe it's because my mother's ancestors came from Spain and from what I understand, there's a place called Montes there, which happens to be my mom's family name.

Downton Abbey, being in London, has given me another reason to tour that part of the world. :) John is a history buff so he wants to see the castles as much as I do.

And so the quest begin.  :)

Booking of hotels, flights, etc. is so easy. Compared to obtaining a visa, that is. Sometimes, it sucks being a Filipino. The embassies automatically think that we will stay and work in their country. So getting a tourist visa is such a difficult task . Suntok sa buwan , ika nga... Whew! 

I don't have a choice but to try though.. And hope that the consul is in a good mood during my interview. :)

In fairness, from what I read, Uk and European embassies would really dissect your documents. So if yours is complete, then you have a chance.

So there goes. A trip to UK and Europe, an addition to my bucketlist. :)  What's yours?

Here's praying that all our dreams will come true!  Cheers.. :)






                                                            Lea C. Walker
                                                   leawalker.blogspot.com
                                                  www.davaoproperties.com















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by.. :)